Monday, May 17, 2010

Top of the World...

I've just spent the last two weeks fully focused and getting on top of things. Well, getting on top of the things that were all the priorities left from a pared down list as long as my arm and then some. When it feels like you've got the world on your shoulders, I do believe you should sit down with a good hot cup of whatever you drink and write a list of everything that you feel is weighing you down. Then, when you've exhausted every single thing no matter how big or minuscule it might seem, it's a deep breath in as you start to cross off everything that doesn't definitely have to be done right away.

So, I set myself two weeks. It was important for me to focus fully on what really was a priority and strike out what was being let go of. So I got to last night (Sunday), which was my target night, rather proud of myself. Products made that needed to be made, labeled and shrinkwrapped, all ready to go to stock. Many wrapped soaps. Loads and loads of little wax wrapped parcels, sitting labeled and ready to go to stock. Bottles, jars, lotion tubes, lip balms and the list goes on and on. All ready to go to stock. I think you're getting the picture. I managed to stay on top even though I had newsletter week last week. And last night, I finally closed the workshop door and thought "Brilliant!". I made my cuppa tea and sat down with a huge great sigh and relaxed.

You see, there's a reason I've had to get on top of everything. It's not just because I'm behind, because if I have to, I'll work 18 hours a day for three or four days. And that's usually good enough. But this was May. And every May, we close for a full two weeks to take a break, do inventory, and recharge our batteries. This year, more than any other year, was really important to us because it's been hard going. If you've been following the blog, you'll know what I mean.

I've got up this morning to some wonderful news. My son and his girlfriend are coming over to visit in June. I've not seen them since early last year. So now I'm working out how long to close the office for. Whether to close for two weeks, reopen and close again. Whether to close for two weeks and then stay closed while they visit. Or whether to close and reopen and stay open the whole time.

After an exciting day, I feel like right back to where I was two weeks ago. I've got a list to write tomorrow morning and I'm going to be trimming it down to priorities. Which should be much easier after the cortisone injection I'm getting in my soaping shoulder. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that? Like I said, it's been hard getting on top of things...

No comments: