Sunday, January 4, 2009

Simple Pedi Polish

Yesterday was another full day on my feet. Up and at it from 5:15am, I finally got to close the workshop door some fifteen hours later. Not without some prompting from techy husband guy though. He's been making a case for me to put a clock in my soap room for a couple of years now, but I'm not a time person.

It wasn't until I actually sat down with a cuppa in front of the telly that I realised my poor feet were telling the tale of the day. So, footbath it was. I love to soak my feet. It's such a simple luxury that anyone can afford. Just a bowl filled with hot water, some epsom or sea salt, and a dash of cider vinegar. A chamomile tea bag tossed into the water is a nice addition or substitute. As are dried lavender buds, calendula flowers, or just some plain old bubble bath if you don't have anything else to hand. I like to place a few pebbles at the bottom of my soak bowl, and let my toes play with them. It really adds something to the relaxing experience.

At this time of year with the cold of outdoors and heavy winter shoes, it's nice to treat yourself to a homemade moisturizing foot polish. The gentle massaging of the skin is a nice relaxing treat, and the feeling after you've rinsed and dried is wonderful. Vegetable oils have many skin loving properties, and I use olive oil for this particular treat because it is so soft and gentle on your skin. Full of antioxidants, olive oil attracts moisture, while still allowing your skin to breathe.

If your feet are telling you the tale of the day when you finally get to sit down, try some home spa pedi pampering with a simple kitchen cupboard beauty treat.

Simple Pedi Polish

You will need:
1/4 cup of Olive Oil
1/4 cup of Sea Salt
Splash of Lemon Juice (optional)

How to:
Mix ingredients together in a small bowl, and set aside while you prepare your foot bath. Soak feet for ten minutes, and pat dry with towel. Using your hands, massage your pedi polish into feet using fingers and thumbs to smooth away the tale of the day. Return feet to water, rinse and pat dry with soft towel.

Notes: If you have your own essential oils, you may add a few drops of tea tree, and/or lavender to your olive oil when preparing your recipe. Always dilute essential oils with a "carrier" oil in this way, and never use directly on the skin.

Always test for allergies first. Be sure to throw away any unused polish, as it is not preserved.

No comments: